Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Set, Production Meetings, and Stanley, oh my....

Have been so busy tying up other theatre projects (both enjoyable and tedious), but am now back on track for Streetcar.  Begin production meetings next week and am excited to get the set underway... My visions are far bigger than the budget will allow, but have the budget numbers now and am scaling down to my non-negotiable set elements.  Am really pleased with what may be appearing on stage!

So pleased to hear from more auditionees!  Love hearing everyone's ideas about characters, portrayal, approach... Will make auditions so much richer and give me so much to consider!  Speaking of auditions, I will be posting more reminders and details as the next weeks progress.  And, don't forget, if you would like to have your audition form pre-filled to save time on the night, then just message me through facebook, give me your e-mail address, and I will forward you a PDF as soon as I can!

Now, as most of my inquiries have been about one particular brutish character, I think we shall take a little look at him right now.  What to say about Stanley... most of the questions that have been posed, have to do with dialect and what I am looking for. What I have said to most of the queries regarding Stanley's dialect and character: 

"As for Stanley, Williams does not give us much in the way of a firm 'back story' for Stanley, it is something that (with guidance from the director) should be left up to actor interpretation. There are a number of clues in the script that can lead character development in a number of directions. Honestly, I prefer to see how an auditioning actor interprets a character, without a lot of early directorial input... So, I would like to see what you feel is the strongest direction to take the character.

But, the guidance I will give you may help you get started and give you some things to think about. First, It is not as simple as saying that his dialect should be taken in one direction or another. His accent will be layered with different regional and European dialects. For example, we know that Stanley was born in the US to Polish Immigrants... because of this, he grew up around the polish language and / or accent in the home. This will affect his current American regional accent. It is probable that his family immigrated into New York and lived there for a period of time, giving him a dialect suitable to that area. He likely moved to New Orleans in his late teens to find work, as New Orleans and the Gulf Coast was an area of growth and development during the 30's and 40's. So... We could surmise that Stanley left his parent's home to find work in the south. His regional dialect was already strongly developed, but the NOLA accent is a very strong one, quickly influencing any accent already developed."

I know, some of you have actually had this sent to you in an e-mail in response to questions...  More insight will come soon.  As for the subject of dialect, in general, a fan of an authentic dialect... one that has truly been studied is properly formed. Listen to the sounds, observe the mouth formations, and understand the sound and places of resonance... Also, it always helped me to have a little look at the history of the dialect or accent I was attempting.

Now, to get in the mood, have a little look of one of the lovely little gems that exist in the Quarter.

More in a day or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment